SCREENWRITING COMPETITION RULES
- By submitting your screenplay to the competition, you grant permission for MFI filmmaking program organizers to produce a short film based on your work during its summer filmmaking Programs. Produced films would only be used for Mfi and/or student promotional purposes. You will retain full credit and further underlying rights for your work and subsequent productions.
- Your screenplay may be written in any genre (e.g. horror, comedy, drama)
- Your screenplay should be written for a film of no more than five minutes, which is five pages in standard screenplay format.
- Your screenplay should require no more than two speaking parts.
- Your screenplay should require no more than one location.
- The judges will make their selection in part based on the production requirements of the screenplays. Keep in mind that your stories be considered low-budget “indie” production budget.
- The producers of the short film retain the right to make changes or improvements to the screenplay to allow for more efficient production.
- While the screenwriter grants the right to MFI to produce a film based on the winning screenplays, to exhibit the film, and to use the film for promotional purposes, the screenwriter retains all other rights to the work.
- If the winning screenplay is written by a student under the age of eighteen, he or she must submit a permission slip signed by a parent or legal guardian before he or she can collect a prize or have his or her screenplay produced by MFI.
- Please complete an entry form and submit with your screenplay.
- Screenplays submitted without entry form or payment may not be eligible for competition.
- Your screenplay should be submitted as a PDF file.
- The deadline to submit a screenplay is March, 1st 2019.
- You may submit multiple screenplays, however, the judges value quality over quantity. Please submit your best work.
- Submission of screenplays may not be acknowledged until after the competition is closed and winners have been decided. Please do not request personal acknowledgments.
Please note: Screenwriters will have the opportunity to apply for a spot in our Directing or Acting Program where they will have the opportunity to either star in or direct their winning screenplay. MFI is a competitive talent based program. Upon review of prior work, admissions will determine eligibility.
By entering the MFI Contest, you acknowledge and agree that contest Judges receive numerous submissions of ideas, stories and scripts, and that your entry, and the ideas and stories embodied in it, may be similar or identical to other material already received and/or developed by one or more of the Judges.
You also agree that you are not entitled to any compensation or credit for use by contest Judges of any such other material.
By agreeing to these Rules and Conditions you agree that you have read the rules of the contest and that you have the authorization to submit this screenplay to the MFI Screenwriting contest. You further agree that your screenplay is owned by you (and any co-author(s)).
The entrant shall indemnify and hold harmless MFI, its employees, contractors, agents and Judges from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, and/or publicity to the Screenplay entered.